First Baptist Springfield has a long history here in the Willamette Valley. Started just as the American Civil War was ending in 1865, the church first began meeting in the Bogart School House. Elder JC Richardson preached to five persons (three women and two men), and they formed the first congregation known as “The First Baptist Church of McKenzie’s Ford.”
In 1871 a new church house was built — the first in Springfield. Located at Second and “C” Streets, the building was completed for $1,623.00. The church name was changed to First Baptist Church, Springfield at this time.
As the congregation continued to grow, a new location was sought to allow for expansion. Property was purchased at 12th and “G”, and the church building (our current fellowship center) was completed in 1958. The first service was held on Easter Sunday. The current Sanctuary building was built in 1968. Offices, Sunday School classrooms and a parking lot were all added at that time.
The original church bell, which was founded in 1882, has announced the hour of Sunday morning worship at both the “C” Street and “G” Street sites. Formerly located in a bell tower on the “G” Street campus, the bell was relocated to its present sight above the worship center in January 2013.
A new era in church life began with the calling of Jeff Savage as pastor in 1988. Under Jeff’s leadership, the congregation has been growing from the inside out. Centered around spiritual growth, First Baptist calls people to mature in faith and reach out in Christ. The summary words of our mission statement describe the heart and passion of this community of faith: “Growing Together, Reaching Out, Training Leaders.”